Ben Askren (19-0) said that he’s planning to take on Jorge Masvidal (33-13) in his next UFC fight.
Initially “Funky” wished to face Darren Till inside the Octagon, but the Brit suffered a devastating defeat in UFC: London from Masvidal and now “Gamebred” is the new main target of Askren.
3️⃣ Thompson 🔼
4️⃣ Dos Anjos 🔼
5️⃣ Masvidal 🔼
7️⃣ Till 🔽
8️⃣ Ponzinibbio 🔽
9️⃣ Lawler 🔽
— UFC on BT Sport (@btsportufc) March 19, 2019
“Dana came out and said this morning that they’re looking to me and Masvidal. I said yes last week. It didn’t take me more than 10 seconds to say ‘Of course. Jorge, let’s do this. You think you’re a gangster.’ Well, now I hear he’s getting cold feet and doesn’t want to do it. He doesn’t want to fight me because he’s scared.
— Ben Askren (@Benaskren) March 26, 2019
“Jorge, tell them people if you’re scared. If you’re scared, I will move on to someone else. If you’re not scared, then June 8 in Chicago [at UFC 238]. I’m free, you’re free, let’s do this. It’s really simple. The winner is probably going to get a title shot Jorge. So, there’s quite a bit on the line and I think it’d be in your best interest to stop being a chicken and just say yes.”
That being said, it seems UFC president Dana White scratched his plan to make an immediate rematch between Askren and Robbie Lawler after the controversial referee stoppage at UFC 235.