English boxing promoter Frank Warren is confident that the fight between WBO world light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (33-3-1) and the challenger Anthony Yarde (18-0) will take place in September in Russia.
Yarde’s promoter told BoxingScene.com that he expects the Kovalev-Yarde fight to take place in September in Russia. Kovalev-Yarde tentatively had been scheduled for June 29 in Kovalev’s hometown of Chelyabinsk, Russia.
The fight was never announced for that date, however, which caused the WBO to call an emergency purse bid for June 11 in New York. That purse bid was canceled because Duva – whose company, Main Events, promotes Kovalev – and Warren had agreed to meet in Las Vegas.
“It’s not our fault it didn’t happen,” Warren stated.
“So, we had a meeting over the weekend here, and hopefully we’ll be in a position next week to announce it. We signed for it once already.”
Frank Warren when he heard Taylor v Postol on Channel 5 is sheduled on the same night as Saunders v Murray. pic.twitter.com/MZ8phWh4Ea
— Capitano (@_JamaicaJamaica) April 26, 2018
“It says a lot about my guy that he’s willing to go there,” Warren said.
“I mean, if it does happen, it’ll be in the other guy’s backyard. But a few things have got to happen before it’s announced. But we want it. We want it to happen.”