UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz will fight former WWE wrestler and ex-PRIDE fighter Alberto Del Rio. A date and venue for the bout has yet to be determined.
Combate CEO Campbell McLaren reported the information. The bout will be Ortiz’s Combate Americas debut.
Additionally, Combate Americas vice president of operations and communications Mike Afromowitz told “MMA Junkie” the bout will be contested at a 210-pound catchweight, and explained the process of putting the fight together.
UFC 61 took place 13 years ago today. It was headlined by a rematch between Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock.
At the time, it was the biggest UFC PPV of all time doing 775K buys.
That buy rate spoke to the superstardom of Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. pic.twitter.com/cqZw0UgaHD
— MMA History Today (@MMAHistoryToday) July 9, 2019
“The fight is going to happen,” Afromowitz said. “I came up with the idea a few months ago, after Alberto had expressed his intention of wanting to fight for Combate Americas, and brought the idea to my boss Campbell McLaren. We went out to both camps and have put this fight together. It’s on.”
Del Rio last fought MMA in 2010, losing via second-round TKO to Yamamoto Hanshi. Previously, he served as a brand ambassador for Combate. He recently weighed in on the pro-wrestling prospects of ex-UFC champ Cain Velasequez, who’s set to make his debut for the AAA wrestling promotion next month in Mexico City.
Combate signed Ortiz in April.