WBA “Super” world super-middleweight champion Callum Smith (26-0) is on the verge of leaving Matchroom Boxing and his promoter Eddie Hearn, reports are saying.
The reason for all this is the inactivity “Mundo” is in. He fought two times for the last 11 months – he defeated George Groves in the World Boxing Super Series final last September and TKO’d Hassan N’Dam on the Anthony Joshua – Andy Ruiz undercard on June 1.
After his stoppage over N’Dam, Smith was in the mix to face Saul Alvarez, but negotiations never even started. Then an offer from Frank Warren and Billy Joe Saunders was sent to the 29-year-old for an all-British super-middleweight unification bout, but again, nothing happened.
Smith’s trainer Joe Gallagher told Sky Sports that a number of rival promoters had been in contact.
“Callum has a few lucrative offers on the table. He is considering them because they could lead to big fights. His head has been turned,” Gallagher said.
“We’re now waiting to see what Eddie can offer Callum. Callum wants big-name US-based fighters like Sergey Kovalev, Canelo, David Benavidez, and Caleb Plant.”
Here’s Eddie Hearn’s take on the situation:
Eddie Hearn reveals he has been in contact with Tom Loeffler over a potential Callum Smith vs Gennady Golovkin bout next summer at Anfield.
— Boxing Social (@boxing_social) November 8, 2018
“We are planning Callum’s next fight for October time before a huge fight in the spring, most likely at Anfield,” Hearn said.
“Obviously in signing Billy Joe Saunders we have the perfect opponent for a huge domestic fight. But Callum is also in the mix for all the big names on DAZN including Canelo and GGG.”