Top Rank’s CEO Bob Arum has revealed that Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has expressed interest in facing his client Artur Beterbiev.
The Russian is scheduled to defend his titles against mandatory challenger Marcus Browne on Friday in Canada.
Last month, Canelo became the undisputed champion at 168-pounds – when he knocked out Caleb Plant in eleven rounds.
Arum could potentially see Canelo facing Beterbiev in May or September.
“Yes. I know that he would [fight Beterbiev]. Eddy Reynoso is a great trainer and is very close to Canelo. I know Canelo pretty well, since he was a young man. He has expressed interest to me about fighting Beterbiev or Joe Smith Jr,” Arum told Sky Sports.
“I would look forward to May or September, the two dates that Canelo likes to fight, that he would fight one of those light-heavyweights.”
Last month, Canelo requested permission to face WBC cruiserweight champion Ilunga Makabu.
While the sanctioning body approved his request, the situation has now become complicated because Makabu has to make a mandatory defense against Thabiso Mchunu – which at the moment is slated to take place in January.
Because of the complex situation at the moment, Arum has doubts that Canelo will move forward with his plan to fight Makabu.
“I think they will have to abandon it,” Arum said.
On the other hand, Arum views Canelo vs. Beterbiev as a major event.
“Canelo is a risk-taker and that makes him so popular,” said Arum.
“It would be a massive fight because the betting action would go both ways. Some will way Beterbiev is too big and powerful. Others will say Canelo is special and can handle everybody. It is one of the biggest fights in boxing.”