WBO world super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (28-0) has stated that the offer he made to his fellow countryman WBA “Super” world champion Callum Smith (26-) had been rejected by Smith’s team.
— Bad Left Hook (@badlefthook) July 6, 2019
“Superb” who is represented by Frank Warren made a unification offer to 29-years-old Smith, but it seems “Mundo” and Eddie Hearn aren’t on board with the 50/50 split and the TV network.
Joe Gallagher, the trainer of Smith, had this to say:
“It’s not the offer that’d tempt Callum Smith, as the world number one, to defend his titles against Billy Joe Saunders on another network/platform, so that’s it.
“Me and Callum have already agreed that it’s not enough, the money’s not enough. If they’re genuine and deadly serious that they want to entice the number one in the world at 168lbs in unification with Billy Joe Saunders, then you have to pay the right money for that quality of fighter.”
Meanwhile, the 29-years-old Saunders and Warren reacted to the news in such manner:
“Disappointed, but the last say should come from Callum Smith. Great fighter and a unification makes plenty of sense for everybody. September ready”, Saunders said.
His promoter – Frank Warren took it to Twitter, announcing that there were no counter offers and that both fighters could earn 7 figures from the fight.
— billyjoesaunders (@bjsaunders_) July 6, 2019
It seems that both guys will be fighting their mandatories in the upcoming fall, even though yesterday the Brit was in attendance of the fight between Nordine Oubaali and Arthur Villanueva that took place in Kazakhstan. After the fight was over (Oubaali defended his WBC world bantamweight title), Saunders said that he’s willing to fight former unified middleweight king Gennady Golovkin.