A long-awaited decision on this year’s World Sambo Championships will be made by the end of September, FIAS President Vasily Shestakov told Russia’s state news agency TASS.
According to him, the initial time-frame between November 6-8 still remains a possibility.
Organizers of the event had previously provisionally postponed the flagship event in Ashgabat due to the unpredictable spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
“The World Championship has been scheduled to be held in Ashgabat in November,” Shestakov said.
“If the situation regarding the novel coronavirus spread declines, the tournament will be held as scheduled. The final decision regarding the organization of the tournament will be made not later than the end of September.”
This will be the first time Turkmenistan has ever hold a World Sambo Championships. Last year’s event was held in Cheongju in South Korea.
Sambo, combat sambo, and women’s sambo were all contested at the event.