IBF world welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. (25-0) admitted that he’s interested in a potential fight against the WBA “Super”, IBF and WBC middleweight titleholder Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (52-1-2).
There is no doubt that a bout between these two will gain a worldwide interest, as both fighters are in their prime. But the reality is that a super-fight between Alvarez and Spence Jr. won’t be happening in 2019.
“The Truth” is looking for big names and big paydays after his UD win against Mikey Garcia earlier this year.
“Canelo” has just added a third belt to his middleweight collection, defeating Daniel Jacobs (35-3) on May 4. The Mexican superstar has an important decision to make in the next couple of weeks because he was ordered to defend the IBF title against Sergiy Derevyanchenko. In the same time, a lot of people want to see a trilogy with Gennady Golovkin by the end of this year and a possible time for such a fight will be the middle of September.
Oscar de la Hoya, the promoter of Alvarez, is also very interested in a potential clash with 29-years-old American.
“I am letting you know that we love the fight as well and I’ve always said that Errol Spence is one of the most talented fighters out there,” De La Hoya said to ESPN.com in letting them know how much interest he has in matching Alvarez against Errol as soon as possible. “There’s no reason why Spence can’t move up to middleweight if Mikey Garcia could go up (from lightweight) to welterweight to fight Spence,” De La Hoya said.
“And if Spence fights Canelo, it will be the most money Errol Spence will ever make. I would love to start the ball rolling. Let’s do it. We just want to get Canelo the best fights and the toughest challenges out there,” De La Hoya said.