WBC middleweight titleholder Jermall Charlo (31-0, 22 KOs) has officially been scheduled for his next outing, unfortunately it won’t come against an opponent anyone’s going to get worked up over. Today Showtime announced that Charlo will headline a June 19th card in Houston, defending his world title against Juan Macias Montiel (22-4-2, 22 KOs).
Speaking on the upcoming bout Charlo shared these thoughts about getting back in action following his September decision win over Sergiy Derevyanchenko.
“It’s great to be back in the ring, headlining on SHOWTIME and defending my title in front of my hometown fans in Houston,” said Charlo. “Fighting on Juneteenth means a lot to me because there is a battle going on far greater than this. That said, I have to handle my business on June 19. Montiel is a tough, young, power puncher. I know he wants my crown, but I’m hungrier than ever and ready to put on a show for my fans. Get ready for a special, explosive night.”
Montiel, 27, is most recently coming off a stoppage win over a well-faded James Kirkland in December and has largely shown that he’s not really capable of competing at the world level, with four of his losses coming against fighters well below the skill level of Charlo. But Montiel has won two straight fights and will be coming to win the best way he knows how.
“I know that I am fighting the best middleweight in the world, but he has never faced someone who can punch like I can,” said Montiel. “All my losses in the past are from not training properly and trying to win by one-punch knockout. I’ve grown up and become a man since then. I proved that I was different when I beat Marco Reyes in 2019, and I haven’t left the gym since then. I’ve worked hard every day to become world champion and I will display everything I’ve learned on June 19.”
The June 19th card will also have lightweight Isaac Cruz taking on Francisco Vargas in a co-main event, with Angelo Leo scheduled for his return against Aaron Alameda.