Khabib Nurmagomedov’s manager Ali Abdelaziz claims that a fight between The Eagle and Floyd Mayweather had been agreed for January 2020.
Mayweather announced on Thursday that he will come out of retirement sometime next year, although the undefeated multiple world champion told Reuters on Tuesday that he was done with boxing.
“I’ve got calls to get back into the ring, but my health is my wealth,” Mayweather said. “Boxing is a very, very brutal sport. In the last few years a lot of fighters have died inside that squared circle.”
The 42-year-old then uploaded a picture of himself to Instagram with tape around his hands and the words “Coming out of retirement in 2020.
“Dana White and I working together again to bring the world another spectacular event in 2020.”
UFC president White then backed up Mayweather’s claim by reposting the image and adding three fist emojis.
Abdelaziz then took on social media to get the fans excited about the potential fight.
— Ali Abdelaziz (@AliAbdelaziz00) November 23, 2019
Mayweather hasn’t competed since his 2017 victory over Conor McGregor that took him to 50-0 in boxing, but he now seems set for a UFC debut in the New Year.