The organizing committees of several international SAMBO tournaments decided to cancel the competition in 2020 in connection with the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and the recommendations of the World Health Organization. So, this year the following competitions will not take place:
– World Beach SAMBO Championships (scheduled for April in Larnaca, Cyprus);
– Paris SAMBO Grand Prix (the event was scheduled for May in Paris, France);
– African SAMBO Championships (the event was scheduled for June in Cairo, Egypt);
– World Masters SAMBO Championships (the event was scheduled for October in Almelo, the Netherlands);
– European SAMBO Cup Open (the event was scheduled for December in Madrid, Spain).
“In the current situation due to COVID-19, FIAS granted the right to National and Continental SAMBO Federations, which are the organizers of tournaments, to decide independently on the cancellation or postponement of competitions, considering the epidemiological situation in these countries. For its part, the International SAMBO Federation firmly defends the position that the health of athletes is a priority of our activity. We hope that the security measures will help to cope with the new challenge as soon as possible, and in the near future, we will be able to return to the working mode of sports events holding,” FIAS President Vasily Shestakov said.