One of Ireland’s most notorious boxers Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan has confirmed to the media that he’ll be getting a world title shot as soon as the coronavirus outbreak is over.
The 35-year-old vet said Golden Boy Promotions made a promise to him to fight in a world title eliminator on the May 2 undercard of Canelo Alvarez that was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The super welterweight Irish will still get his eliminator fight and he’ll be facing Patrick Teixeira who is the WBO super welterweight world champion. The Brazilian is signed with Golden Boy and he has a mandatory defense lined up.
If Teixeira manages to get the W, his next opponent will be O’Sullivan himself. Speaking earlier this year the Mahon man explained:
“I thought I’d get a shot at Teixeira, but he has a mandatory defense,” Spike said earlier in the year.
— Packie Collins (@packycollins) May 4, 2020
“They’re telling me I’ll get an International title shot at light-middle. Teixeira is promoted by Golden Boy and I would get to fight him if he comes through the mandatory.”