The International Judo Federation have announced that they have joined the UNFCCC’s (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) Sports for Climate Action initiative as a signatory to the Sports for Climate Action Framework.
The Sports for Climate Action initiative calls on sporting organizations to acknowledge the contribution of the sports sector to climate change and their responsibility to strive towards climate neutrality for a safer planet.
In line with the five core principles enshrined in the Framework and the aims of the Paris Agreement, The IJF will strive to:
1) promote greater environmental responsibility;
2) reduce the overall climate impact from sports;
3) use our platform to educate for climate action;
4) promote sustainable and responsible consumption; and
5) advocate for climate action through our communications.
Speaking at the launch event for the Framework, UNFCCC Executive Secretary, Patricia Espinosa explained that sports organizations and athletes are in a unique position in the race against climate change “because sports touches on every cross-section of society”.