The coronavirus pandemic locked down the world as we’ve never seen before. At least for the last half-century.
Thousands of music, art, sports and other events were postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The sixth edition of SENSHI was one of the major Bulgarian fight nights that had to be rescheduled.
One of the finest Bulgarian fighters had to stay at home where they had to stay in fight form. Bulgaria’s national kickboxing team skipper and WAKO PRO kickboxing world champion – Atanas Bozhilov shed light on his training sessions under quarantine and how he stays fit in times of social distancing.
Atanas, 2020 kicked-off pretty well for you with another SENSHI win in February, but the COVID-19 pandemic all sporting events were canceled. How did that affect your fight momentum?
– Unfortunately, COVID-19 had an effect on our sport and the whole sports industry. But I’m still fit. I’m doing everything I have to to stay fit and when the quarantine is over, I’m starting my training camp.
Do you have any idea when your next fight will be?
– It is still early to say because nobody really knows when the fight nights will restart. Prior to this pandemic, I had a couple of offers, SENSHI included. I was really looking forward to the sixth edition of SENSHI, but the event got canceled. I can’t really say what’s going to happen, but I know I’ll be back at 100%.
D0 you have any concerns that you might not be ready for your next bout and how are you training?
– No, not at all. It’s quite the opposite. I’m working out every day. I’m focused on increasing my strength because I don’t have a sparring partner. Sometimes I’m training twice a day.
How are you dealing with the social distancing? Is it hard for you and your family?
– No, I’m spending more time with my family which is nice. Now I have more time for my wife and my kids and that’s the most important thing.
What is the one thing you can’t wait to do when the quarantine is over?
I’ll start my training camp for my next fight – jogging on the beach, sparring sessions in the gym…
What is your advice to our readers?
– I’m hoping everybody is safe and staying at home. People should look at the situation from a different angle… This is a perfect time to spend more time with your loved ones and your family because often we don’t have time for them. Now’s the time to change our priorities.